Thursday, June 28, 2012

Black Hair in Paris: Interview

I recently had the pleasure of being interviewed by Priscilla Lalisse-Jespersen of Prissy Mag for Pris' most recent blog - Black Hair in Paris (BHIP) for an article called "Up Close." An excerpt follows:

BHIP: How did you wear your hair before you got here?

MW: Before I came to Paris (in 1992), I wore braids. I started wearing braids when I went to graduate school in 1985. Before then, I processed my hair (straight perms, Jeri Curls).


Monique and Paul Stromberg at The Ohio State University
Photo courtesy of OSU


BHIP: What was your hair experience when you got to Paris--were you lucky in finding salons? Products?

MW: I got my hair cut into a short Afro just before I moved to Paris and have worn my hair
in this style since arriving. I brought my “black” hair care products with me (in bulk) when I moved here. I have always purchased shampoos and conditioners that a person of any race can use in stores around town such as Monoprix, Franprix, etc. For products similar to what we used to call “hair grease” ( LOL!), I buy them from the States when I go on vacation and bring them back. A little goes a long way for me!

BHIP: Have you had any bad hair experiences in Paris?

MW: No, but I attribute this to the fact that I am completely natural – no extensions, weaves, or chemicals. It’s pretty easy to find a black hairdresser who can cut men’s hair. When I first came, I just showed a photo of what I wanted and they reproduced it. I’ve only had three hairdressers in 20 years, so they pretty much know what I want.

Visit Black Hair in Paris to read the remainder of the interview!

************


Entrée to Black Paris!™ is a Discover Paris! blog.

If you liked this article, share it with your friends and colleagues by clicking on one or more of the social media buttons below!

No comments: